Nevertheless, your eye health is an important part of your overall health as it doesn't only determine how your eyes are functioning but also detects systemic conditions before you may even know the symptoms exist. For this reason, you should be getting an eye exam every other year at least.
Choosing Amongst Eye Doctors
There are several things you'll want to take into consideration whenever you're looking for an eye doctor, including:
1. Experience is important, especially if you're already experiencing any eye problems. Herein you'll want to know where the doctor went to school and how long he's been working in this profession.
2. Cost is imperative because insurance doesn't typically cover the cost of corrective lenses. For this reason, you need the cost to be affordable for both the exam and the products too. Best Eye Hospital in Kota
3. Customer Service is always important, no matter what you're dealing with. In the medical profession it's especially important but it's difficult to respect someone who is called a professional and yet is both rude and mouthy whenever they're dealing with you. So, make sure to find somewhere that puts you first as a customer. This may require you to make some unannounced visits at various offices before deciding upon the 1 you like best.
4. Reputation is also an important consideration. This will require you to do some research or, if time is of the essence, you should be fine if you simply choose a doctor who's with a major chain. Regardless of where you go, it's important to find a professional who's good at what they do. However, do keep in mind that even if you go to a high end office something could still go unnoticed or even get overlooked.
What to Expect When Visits Eye Doctors
Obviously, a lot of what to expect will depend upon the type of problem you're having but there are some things that should happen at all visits, including:
1. Your pupils will be dilated so that they can be very closely examined. This procedure involves putting drops in your eyes and then waiting for 45 minutes. At that point lights will appear brighter and your vision will become blurry. You won't be able to drive home afterwards and may feel more comfortable wearing a pair of sunglasses. This could last for up to 24 hours. Eye Hospital Kota
2. Your medical exams will be thoroughly reviewed. This is especially true of your ocular medical history records, which may include things like photos, angiograms (the blood flow within the arteries that are located inside of your eyes) and visual fields. For this reason, eye doctors will oftentimes request that you bring records from previous eye exams and surgeries with you if you're a new patient.
Getting Fit For Contact Lenses
Whenever you find that you need to be fitted for contact lenses, there is a very specific type of eye exam that you will need. This may actually require you to visit your eye doctor's offices several times. Each of these appointments may actually be quite lengthy too so you'll want to make sure you have plenty of time in your schedule for these appointments. Also, upon arrival, make sure that you tell the receptionist that you are there to be fit for a pair of contact lenses and not to get a regular eye exam as there is a definite difference in the procedure to be undertaken here.
Some of the things that will need to be done to properly fit you for contact lenses include:
1. A keratometer will need to be used to measure the curvature of your cornea (the front surface of your eye). Sometimes this area will need to be mapped to understand the area's various contours.
2. The doctor will need to determine the size of both your pupil and your iris (the colored portion of your eye).
3. Tests will need to be done to ensure that you make enough tears to keep your contacts moist and well hydrated. This is an important part of ensuring that your contacts will be comfortable.
Now that you have this information, hopefully you'll feel much more comfortable whenever it comes time to choose an eye doctor and to actually attend an eye doctor appointment.