Being diagnosed with any type of cancer is never good for anyone. If you are diagnosed with cancer, you will undoubtedly be referred to a medical specialist, known as an oncologist. The specialists who deal with cancer are oncologists.
Here are a few things you need to consider while choosing an oncologist:
• Find a board certified oncologist. This is a sign that you are going to be treated by a person who is perfect in his ability and understanding in the field. The tests have shown that you are dealing with cancer, which is dangerous, so look for only the best rather than anyone else. There are different types of board certifications available such as medical oncologists are board certified in internal medicine and their subspecialties in medical oncology and radiation oncologists are board certified in radiation oncology.
• This is the best way to choose your doctor based on your experience. The best sign is that he is practicing oncology full time.
• Getting your complete care in a good hospital is another measure of the oncologist's competence. See hospital designation by the NCI as a Comprehensive Cancer Care Centre. Because these centres have medical and radiation oncologists and surgeons under one roof, it will reduce your travel and coordinate your care. They also conduct research about cancer, which allows them to develop up-to-date treatments for you.
• One way to find the best doctor is to ask for a referral from your doctor who provides your primary care. You can also take advice from your family members, friends or colleagues.
• NIC (National Cancer Centre) is a designated cancer centre which can provide you information about oncologists practicing at the centre. Best Oncologist in Jaipur
• The ABMS can list doctors who have met certain training and educational requirements and done their specialty courses. You must register to use this self-service resource that allows you to search by their name or by their area of certification and by state. A directory is also available in most libraries.
• The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) can provide a list of physicians and their specialties online. The Society maintains a member database in which you can find over 30,000 oncologists worldwide with their names and affiliations. It is searchable by the doctor's institution, name, oncology specialty, location, and board certification type.
• Local medical societies can also empanel doctors according to their specialities.
• Medical and public libraries may maintain a print directory of cancer specialists' names and their areas of work.
• Local yellow books or yellow pages may also have a list of doctors and their specialties.