A wedding card is a sort of invitation letter sent to invite the recipient to a wedding. The Indian wedding cards are in a third person and a very formal language and then are sent to guests 1.5-2 months before the date of marriage.
Who sends the wedding cards?
The host has to take the responsibility of mailing the cards to all the people mentioned in the guests' list. In Indian culture, the mother is responsible to either send the cards by herself or by someone very close to the relatives and other guests.
The text or the manner of invitation through cards depends on the country, its culture, and its language. However, Indian wedding cards are usually semi-formal. The date, place, and time of the essential ceremonies are mentioned.
Wedding cards in India
India acquired the concept of invitation cards from the British while following the western culture. In India, usually, the parents of the bride host the wedding. The wedding cards begin with formal context, mentioning the bride and groom's names along with the name of their parents and grandparents.
According to Hindu mythology, the wedding cards are very significant. The first card is placed before the Gods and Goddesses to seek their blessings, and then they are sent to the guests.
Apart from the parents' mentions and another comedy is another tag as RSVP included in the cards. The world RSVP means respond, please, and a contact name and contact number are there alongside the title. The person mentioned as RSVP is essential to know any information regarding the place, directions, accommodations, or any other small or big words.
The Indian wedding cards range between INR 50-100 per piece. However, in case you want customized cards, then the price may vary as per your requirements.
The wedding cards fashion changes with time and is usually as per the theme of the wedding or the theme that is trending.
- Pattern And Design: Peacock, feather, Swastika, OM are the most common designs of the wedding cards in India.
- Colours: Bright colours like red, green, yellow, orange look good in the wedding cards. These colours not only look attractive but also have some religious importance in Indian culture.
- Embellishment: The wedding cards are decorated with beautiful jewels and ornaments to make them look classy and rich.
What to mention in the Indian Wedding Invitations card?
There are several things written on wedding cards. Some of them include-
- Name of the host.
- Invitation request.
- Names of bride and groom.
- Date and time of the ceremonies and events.
- The location.
- Reception information.
- Dress code (if any).
The trending wedding invitations
Other than the ordinary cards, there are some trending invitations. They are-
- Acrylic Wedding invitations.
- Vellum paper invitation cards and envelopes.
- Foil painting.
- Metallic and glitter touch on cards.
- Wax seal decoration.
- Unique shaped cards.
- Customized envelopes of cards.
Do's and don'ts of wedding invitation cards
Do's:- It is preferable to choose the words formally.
- Mention the bride's name first. However, this can deviate, but sometimes it's good to follow the traditions.
- Choose cards that match the wedding theme.
- Include the names and requests if children to make the card seem cute.
- Try to be unique and different while selecting the cards.
- Try to mention RSVP, who can respond both offline as well as online.
- Write the direction clearly and in detail.
- Give the handling of the cards to someone sincere and responsible.
- The wedding invitations should remain short and sweet—no extra information on the cards.
- Try to mention the names of all the guests on the card as it looks polite.
- Do not use more than two fonts. Choose the easily readable fonts.
- Do not mention the pre and post-wedding functions.
- Do not miss to verify the address.
- Do not forget to say about the choices of meals.
- Do not keep the date of RSVP too close to the wedding.
- Do not order the exact number of cards as per the guest list. Keep some extra cards handy.
What to do with wedding cards after marriage?
A wedding card is of exceptional importance in every couple's life. To keep it forever as a memory, one can do some creative stuff with the card. Here is the list of some of the creative ideas:
- Frame the card and place it in your room as a memory.
- Create a mini-album for your wedding card.
- Use DIYS and make cute decorative kinds of stuff with the wedding cards.
A wedding card is an integral part of our tradition. Without it, our marriage lost its charm. We distribute wedding cards with ladoos. When we distribute the wedding card, it's our way of showing closeness to our relatives and friends.