Supplies you will need:
- Boxes, all sizes
- Bubble wrap or other cushioning material
- Marking pens
- Tape measure
- Furniture pads or old blankets
- Packing tape and scissors
- 3X5 Cards and Box
- Plastic baggies for small items, like brackets and screws
- A designated spot in your home for packed boxes
As you pack each box:
- Number the box
- Label it with the room in the new home to which it should be delivered
- Take a 3X5 card and write the number of the box at the top of the card, then as you pack the box, list the contents on the card. When the box is full, file the card in your 3X5 box. Now you have a handy inventory of all your items. This is great for locating items once you arrive at your new home and invaluable, should you need a record for insurance purposes.
- Mark the box as fragile if appropriate, then move it to the spot you have designated for packed boxes.
Pack heavy items like books, records, canned food and tools in small cartons. Pack light things like pillows, blankets, sheets, towels, shoes and baskets in large boxes. Pack everything else in medium cartons.
Group items together that go in the same room at your new home.
Use plain newsprint to wrap items to avoid having to wash everything as soon as you arrive at your new home.
Use blankets, towels or table cloths to wrap around fragile items like your lamps or pictures.
When packing dishes wrap each piece in a piece of paper. Stand plates on their end. Place glasses standing with the lip down. Pack your dishes tight. If there are empty spaces wad a piece of paper and fill in the empty spaces. Just make sure that your dishes and other fragile items cannot move around in the box. When you finish and you tape the top of the box pick it up and shake it slightly, if you hear anything rattle around we suggest you open the box and fill in any spaces with a piece of waded up paper.
When disassembling furniture, place all brackets, screws, bolts, and nuts in a small baggie and tape the baggie to the furniture.
Do not use Styrofoam peanuts or shredded newsprint as padding for small appliances, computers or other machines. Fragments may work their way inside the machines and cause damage.
Never pack the following items as they are flammable and could explode or catch fire in a hot moving van. Any aerosol cans, caustic drain cleaners, gasoline, charcoal lighter fluid, paint, paint thinner, varnishes, oil, matches, or any other flammable or combustible material.
Pack an essentials box. Include things you will need at your new place right away, such as a few tools, toilet paper, hand soap, hand towel or paper towels, light bulbs, medication, first aid items, snacks, water or other drinks, paper plates, cups and plastic silverware, telephone, pen and paper, pet food, etc. Put this box in your car if possible or put it on the truck last so it will come off first.