To improve your proficiency, ask yourself the following questions on a regular basis:
- Do I have good working and personal relationships with both my peers and with those in authority?
- What common ground can I point out to help smooth over rough situations or relationships?
- In what ways can I personally foster a new relationship between two people in my organization?
- What people can I encourage to collaborate their efforts for the purpose of reaching the organization’s goal?
- What is the worst-case scenario involving a difficult relationship, and what response should I prepare?
- What informal meeting(s) can I orchestrate to promote a relaxed discussion with someone I am having personal problems with?
To avoid overdoing managing relationships, ask yourself:
- Am I overly driven to make everyone happy?
- Am I inappropriately free with information to gain others’ trust or friendship?
- Am I choosing to follow the wrong role model?