I want to give you some tips that will help you become more aware of your habits. These tips can keep you from eating so much at night.
- Make sure you have some “healthy snacks” to treat yourself with, like blueberries or blackberries or healthy homemade energy balls.
- Decide you will not eat after a certain time and then be disciplined to follow your own advice.
- Be sure to have your dinner before a certain time and allow yourself the nutrients that you know will give you energy. Take the time to Enjoy your Food!
- Use all 7 of the main categories of nutrients for your day - protein, carbohydrates, fats, fibre, minerals and vitamins (veggies) and water…just be sure to portion control for each meal.
- Be aware of the temptations that are around you. Sometimes proximity is all you need to do. If icecream is your vice…put it downstairs in your freezer rather than your fridge freezer so that it’s more out of reach. Sometimes out of reach is out of mind.
- Be prepared ahead of time - have some prepped veggies done so that if you reach for a snack in the evening, a healthy one is there waiting for you that’s easy to grab.
- Let go of the desserts - they are filled with sugar that makes you crave more of it. If you decide to have something sweet - have a cup of tea with a tiny amount of honey in it. It’s something to hold and something that will also keep your hands busy. If you must have dessert - make it a healthy fruit that also includes fiber that will help fill you up.
- Sometimes flossing your teeth or brushing your teeth will help you not want to put anything else in your mouth.
- I like to puzzle - it keeps my mind busy and my hands busy. Some people like to doodle, or knit, or write cards or play a game. Keeping busy is a great way to distract yourself from food.
- Keep your junk food cupboard bare! It will certainly be a way to avoid reaching for the food that harms your body versus food that can actually be beneficial to your body.
Read the full article on my blog: Why Do I Eat So Much At Night?